I love the burrito bowls that are popular at some chain Mexican restaurants, but I recently realized how many calories are in each bowl. Just trust me when I tell you it is ridiculous. So, I decided to make my own Chicken Burrito Bowl at home for a fraction of the cost and calories. To cut some calories, I used plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Not only does the yogurt add a punch of protein, but you don’t lost much in flavor, either. Give it a try! I’m all about making healthy switches.
Did you know that Tyson Foods, based in Arkansas, is the largest poultry processor in the United States?
- 2 cups brown rice, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 pound chicken breast strips (raw)
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Heat a large skilled over medium high heat and add a small amount of olive oil (less than two teaspoons). Meanwhile, generously rub taco seasoning on chicken breast strips. Once pan has heated, add chicken strips and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until juices run clear and the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees.
- Then, drain can of black beans and add to a saucepan over medium heat with drained can of corn. Heat thoroughly. Slice chicken breast strips into bite sized pieces.
- Layer rice, beans and corn, lettuce, chicken, cheese, plain Greek yogurt and salsa in a bowl and serve.